Wednesday, February 10, 2010

We are Family!

It is official. As of 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday, February 10,2010 we became the parents of a beautiful young lady named Alison Iryna Thomas and a handsome young man named Jayson Oleksiy Thomas!! Court went very smooth. Both children were present and asked if they wanted to be our children and come to America. Jayson was answering the questions before the judge even got them out of her mouth. Alison was quiet for the most part and just smiled the whole time. I had to do most of the speaking today because the Judge addressed questions to me. She asked why we wanted to adopt and I simply told her that we wanted to give these children a chance at life and a loving family. Then of course I started crying which made the Assistant director of the orphanage cry, the Inspector cry, and the Judge! After is was over Jayson just hugged us over and over while Alison acted a little nervous. We then took the kids and the Assistant director to lunch and the director thought we needed a glass of wine to celebrate. Everyone in this town has been so supportive of our adoption and very kind to Todd and I. It is amazing how you can build such close relationships with people without even speaking the same language!! We will be able to get the children on the 22nd for good and then fly home a few days after that. Even though I am very ready to come home, a piece of my heart will stay here in Ukraine! My heart will stay with the people I have met and the children that I have loved and comforted while I was at the orphanage! I wish each and every one of you could experience what Todd and I have on this trip. These children in the orphanage are amazing, beautiful and wonderful little human beings!! I now know that my heart will always ache for these children and my passion will drive me to do whatever I have to to help them!! Thank you everyone for going on this journey with us and supporting us in this decision even if you did not completely understand it!!
More post to follow!! Love You, Lori & Todd

2 comments:

  1. Lori and Todd,

    Congratulations!! And now the real journey begins! We are so happy for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori and Todd,
    I am so happy to hear you talk about Alison like you do! I was so worried...I am thrilled that you are happy. I pray that both children bless you more than you could imagine - and when they aren't blessing you, you can call me and vent! :) The first 6 months can be difficult - especially after the honeymoon phase! We are so excited to see Jayson and Alison come home - Griffan is so happy! Probably looking for someone to commiserate with! Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete